I finally started work on my cape, which I have been pleasantly surprised to find out is not as frustrating as I anticipated. So far, 3 out of the 5 cape pieces have the giant snowflake motif attached on and then I can sew this beast together. I ended testing to see if you can adhere organza to glitter tulle using heat ‘n’ bond lite and you can, but because there isn’t much surface area for the heat and bond to cling to, I’ll have to brush the back with some adhesive to make sure everything is permanently fixed in place. If anything, the heat ‘n’ bond works more like an interfacing for the slippery organza and an adhesive to keep everything in place, until a stronger glue is brushed on. The care instructions specifically said not to iron the glitter tulle, so I’m surprised nothing melted »;
I really wanted to see if I could figure out a way to create a “frost” look on the cape and retain some transparency, which is why I picked organza of all things for the snowflakes. It creates a pretty interesting look over the textures on the main part of my Elsa costume, which I’m quite happy with.
Also pictured are my snowflakes for my Elsa braid. The snowflakes are cast from clear resin with a touch of blue resin dye and glitter added to the mixture.I still need to figure out a backing system for the small flakes. I’m thinking about making some coils out of wire and making them into hair swirls, so I don’t have to worry about bobby pins sticking out.
Costume made by: Dessi-Desu
More costume information here and here
For the bodice transition, I used some leftover organza from my first Elsa and made it come off the edge of the corset. That way I can create an organic edge with the rectangles and the rhinestones blend in with the skirt. I looked up rhinestone gowns for inspiration for Elsa and really liked the idea of using transparent fabric to create an almost seamless transition. Other cosplayers have used this method, including YuuriSans, who also created a very lovely Elsa :]
The skirt fabric is a silk chiffon with silver metallic threads woven throughout. My sleeves were created with a stretch mesh, which are sprayed with floral spray to create the gradient. I wouldn’t really recommend dying stretch mesh because it is a poly and likely very difficult to dye, unless you use a dye specifically for synthetics. Unfortunately, I don’t own an airbrush, so floral spray is a nice in-expensive alternative.
I hope that helps and good luck with your Elsa! <3
Almost completely done with the bodice. I still have to cover some areas and go in with some smaller sized rectangles. I’ve also started work on the designs for the sleeves with 3mm rhinestones. Unfortunately, I already have to order more x_x;
More progress can be seen here and here
Costume made by: Dessi-Desu
Illustration by: Dessi-Desu
My little moonie heart is full of so much happiness with all the Sailor Moon news! Here’s my Sailor Venus fuku, along with some other adorable Venus cosplayers :D
Sailor Venus classic: Dessi-Desu
Eternal Sailor Venus: Koneko YourAverageNerd
Sailor V: YashaFluff
I’m probably about 45% done covering my Elsa bodice with hand cut rectangles. I decided to take a break from rectangles and do a little embellishing with the blue bugle beads scattered along the bottom of her bodice. The embellishing stage is major incentive for me to chug along with the rectangles because all the rhinestones and beads will really bring this thing to life :D
Elsa costume made by Dessi-Desu